Tankless Water Heaters
Tankless water heaters heat the water directly at the point of use – and only when the water flows. Tankless water heaters provide hot water immediately, so they are very well suited for buildings and places without a central hot water supply resulting in savings in energy and maximum convenience for users.
What Our Customer Say
Tankless water heaters heat the water directly at the point of use – and only when the water flows. That means in contrast to conventional storage heaters no hot water is stored. That avoids expensive heat losses. As a result instantaneous water heaters are more economic than conventional storage heaters. Electronically controlled instantaneous water heaters are particularly energy efficient, because they automatically adapt the power output to actual requirements.
Instant Hot Water
Tankless water heaters have higher rated heating capacity and heat water directly as the water flows through it.
The bare wires/heating elements instantly heat the water as it flows through the unit. So no more waiting for hot water!
Continuous Hot Water
Tankless water heaters turn on based on flow sensor and the water will keep heating as long as the water is on without any interruption. So no more cold showers!
Tankless water heaters consume electricity only when water is being used and hence there are no standby losses as associated with storage water heaters.
The unit is activated only when the hot tap is turned on and switches off when the tap is turned off. No storage tank means no need to heat and reheat the water which means high energy savings.
Tankless water heaters are suitable for hard water and since there is no storage tank and hence there is limited residual mineral or other deposit which is the main cause for higher maintenance.
Also tankless heaters don’t require any venting which results in low maintenance.
Back up for Solar/Heat Pump
Tankless water heaters are an ideal combination with solar/ heat pumps and will give you the most efficient energy output with providing hot water at the desired temperature throughout the year.
When the water temperature in the solar storage tank drops below a pre-set point, tankless water heater temperature sensors accept the preheated incoming water and apply a temperature only which is required, helping to maintain consistent temperature hot water delivery.
Tankless water heaters don’t have a tank and hence are up to 90% smaller than a storage water heater.
Smaller size means more volumetric space for your bathroom, lower interior/building costs and easy access for maintenance when required.
Stiebel Eltron heaters have been awarded many global design awards for their quality and aesthetics.1.
2. How Tankless Works?
Tankless water heaters operate based on bare wire heating technology. The unit is activated through the flow of water and bare wire heats the water instantly as it flows through the unit.
When a hot water faucet is turned on, a flow sensor in the heater detects that the water is moving and turns on a bank of heating elements or modules. The water passes over the heating modules, usually in series, and exits the heater at the desired temperature. Since tankless water heaters do the entire job of a conventional tank-type water heater in just seconds, they require very high powered heating elements. A collection of sensors and a microprocessor will control the output water temperature to ensure that a precise output temperature is maintain during operation. When the water is turned off, the unit turns off completely and consumes absolutely no power again until a hot water faucet is turned on.
The outlet temperature can be set through the control panel on the unit itself. The output temperature is determined by the following three factors :
1. Flow Rate of water into unit (I/min)
2. Cold Water inlet temperature(°C)
3. Appliance output (kw)
3. How are Tankless Water Heaters different from storage and instant heaters available in the market in India?
Instant water heaters in India should not be confused with tankless water heaters – commonly known instant water heaters in India are nothing but small storage water heaters between 1-6 liters and they do not provide hot water instantly and consistently. The table below will show you the differences between storage and instant water heaters.
|Unlimited Water Supply||Yes||No|
|Pricing||High Pricing, backed by significant Value||Lower Pricing, delivering little customer value|
4. Where do you generally install the heaters?
Heaters can be installed inside or outside the shower area. They can be installed any any height as long as there is requisite pressure of 1- 1.5 bar which is necessary for the geyser to operate and result in adequate shower performance.
Tankless Water Heaters should be installed vertically only and as recommended/shown in the installation/user manual and/or advised by authorised technician.
5. Is there is specific plumbing, electrical and pressure requirement to install and operate these heaters?
- Yes, the geyser has specific plumbing requirements due to its design and needs to be installed by means of a template or by an approved authorised technician
- Products are both 1 phase and 3 phase – therefore it is important to know what phase connection is available in the target/customer building/residence
- Yes, the wiring for Tankless Water Heaters has specific requirements:
- The wiring has to be done directly from the geyser to the distribution board (DB)
- The wire thickness and the circuit breaker capacity will depend on the rated power capacity of the geyser – see customer and technical service or product info sheet for more information
- Minimum pressure of 1-1.5 bar is needed to activate units which represent inflow rates of water at between 2-4 litre of water depending on the pipe thickness
6. Can you have one heater for 2 bathrooms?
Yes, if the distances between bathrooms are not significant, however, a higher capacity unit must be recommended and the risk of lower flow rate exists if the showers are on at the exact same time
7. Can these water heaters be used as back up for solar?
Yes, in fact these heaters are the best back up for solar since they activate on flow of water and only activate if the set temperature from solar is not achieved, providing instant back up and energy saving at the same time
8. Does your Tankless Water Heaters have BEE Star and ISI rating?
No, Our Products does not have any Indian BEE energy ratings as the ratings as there is no standard currently for tankless water heaters. Tankless Water Heaters doe not require BIS/ISI rating . Our Tankless Water Heaters globally has various energy efficient ratings and is in compliance with IEC (European norms) which Indian standards are based upon, so no compromise on safety and energy
9. What is the warranty for the product?
Tankless Water Heaters products are designed, produced and shipped free from defects and will function reliably when installed properly, used correctly and treated in accordance with Tankless Water Heaters installation and operating instructions.
The warranty period for ALL Tankless Water Heaters water heater models is as follows
- heating element and tank – 2 years
- all other parts-12 months warranty
Tankless Water Heaters or the authorised service centre /agent will at their option repair or replace those products which within the warranty period stated above subject to the following terms and conditions:
- Liability under the warranty will only be covered if the installation of the water heater has been carried out by an authorised representative of the Company or an authorised/approved trained contractor
- Liability under warranty will only be covered for defects which occur under conditions of normal operation an under proper use
- Liability under warranty does not cover damage due to calcification and foreign matter intervention
- Inspection report of the Company’s authorised technician will be treated as final and binding under the warranty for determining the defects, repairs/alterations required or carried out or certifying working of the goods thereafter
- The customer will have no claim under this warranty in respect of personal injury, damage or property or consequential damages, or for utilisation of the goods not in accordance with the user manual
Warranty is only valid on producing a valid invoice showing purchase of the product from an authorised reseller or a copy of the warranty card duly filled in and signed/stamped by the reseller.
10. What is your turnaround time (TAT) for service? How is it compared to your competitors?
Our target TAT is between 36 hours and is on par or better than our competitors.
11. What is the availability of spare parts?
Spare parts are readily available at our service centre. In case of issues with the water heater we have stand by units which we give the customer until the unit is repaired – unless the heater problem can be resolved the same day on site.
12. How do tankless water heaters save energy compared to storage water heaters?
- Tankless water heaters save energy vis a vis storage due to more efficient usage and zero standby losses
- Heating only happens when the water is on energy is saved since no heating and reheating is happening even while the water is not being used.
- Energy consumption is based on delta t – temp desired/set less ambient temperature so excess heating does not happen
- Due to less salt deposition on its heating element the heating is more efficient compared to storage and hence less energy consumption is required
13. Are tankless water heaters suitable for hard water and if so how?
Yes, tankless water heaters are suitable for hard water however, they are not immune to the effects of hard water. Tankless Water Heaters have thin /bare wires made of Nichrome on which salt deposition is less/more difficult. Further, the chamber for water storage is small so the exposure to salts is less. Lastly tankless water heaters have temperature control and generally do not heat water more than 50 degrees hence calcification which occurs at higher temperatures of 60-8o- degrees does not happen as compared to storage. However, if the Hardness of water is above 150 we recommend either a scale inhibition /filtration system or a water softener from 3M water filtration products for the whole house or bathroom. This will increase the life of all fittings and appliances not only the water heater.
14. Since tankless water heaters have high kw rating how can I install 3-4 heaters in my house when my connected /sanctioned load is not so high?
Tankless water heaters operate only on flow of water and hence the diversity to be assumed for any house should be assumed as if 2 water heaters are on at the same time only. This means the following diverisity for electricity load calculation
2 Bathrooms – 100 percent
3 bathrooms – 66 percent
4 bathrooms – 50 percent
Further, the maximum consumption of power only happens early morning in winter months when air conditioners and other lights/appliances are typically not used and hence there is a natural hedge /compensation for the same. As the day progresses the consumption of electricity for the water heater goes down and gets compensated by the consumption of other appliances.
15. What are the safety features of Tankless Water Heaters?
- Anti-scalding (anti burn) automatically built in since temperature is delivered based on set temperature
- Shock proof – in built Earth leakage circuit breakers( ELCB) – helps detect disturbances and interrupts the circuit if dangerous voltage is detected
- Splash proof – International Protection rating (IP rating) – All water heaters of Tankless Water Heaters are Splash proof with IP 25 and IP 24 rating. This means that parts which are exposed are rigorously tested by spraying water at a certain speed via a hose/pipe of diameter of 12.5mm and are checked to ensure that no water is entered into the electrical components through the exposed areas.
16. What if the overhead tank is empty and the water heater is on?
The water heater will not switch on without flow of water
17. Can the water heater be kept on the loft. Does it require ventilation?
The water heater does not require any ventilation; however it should preferably be installed in an area where it can be reached easily so that the temperature and other settings can be changed when needed.
18. Can the water heaters be kept horizontally?
Tankless Water Heaters should be installed vertically only and as recommended/shown in the installation/user manual and/or advised by Tankless Water Heaters authorised technician.
19. Why a 10sq.mm or 6sqmm wire?
Higher capacity wires are required to carry higher voltage due to higher capacity of the water heaters.
20. Why does the wiring need to be done directly to the DB?
Since the rated power of Tankless Water Heaters heaters is higher than most appliances in a household, the power supply channel should be independent to avoid distribution/sharing with other appliances.
21. If one has 4 heaters in 4 bathrooms and all are on the same time then load consumption would be very high.
The load consumption would depend on the usage patterns and the flow rate since it is likely to different. The difference would be the same if you had 4 storage heaters on at the same time.
22. If there is three phase connection can you put single phase water heaters?
Yes you can, however wherever there is a 1 phase connection you cannot put a 3 phase heater.